Monday, December 5, 2022

Diabetes Daily…Technology

I haven’t talked to you guys in a long while, how is everyone doing though. Ive been well enough deal with the daily struggles of diabetes, and the daily lows, and highs. But that is is life as a diabetic right?

  But anyway, I wanted to come and talk about how technology has changed so much over the years since I got diagnosed with diabetes back in 1996. Though I am sure for many of you that are older than me it did changed much much more than it did for me. But in a way it changed as well, for me at least and many others that got diagnosed at around the same time as I did. 
  But anyway lets go on. 
Now I use an insulin pump and a dexcom (cgm) and that is a big deal for someone like me. I remember when I first got diagnosed, when I needed to check my blood sugar the glucose meter took at least five minutes to read my blood sugar (glucose). And that was a waiting game, and how long it took for it to give the results unlike now, some glucose meters take less than five seconds to give you a reading. Let alone the Dexcom. I remember though the first few newer versions of the glucose meter at least in my time when the companies where coming out iwth new meters, that took five seconds or less to give you the reading and that was amazing news!! For me at least and many others, because it gave more time to calculate the insulin that I needed to inject and the time for my body to process the insulin and regulate the blood sugar before the meal. For me at least was amazing news. Because I remember the times when I was asking about insulin pumps. I was always told I needed to be more regulated on my blood sugars, be like a hawk with my A1C , wich to me all the doctors that denied me the right to and insulin pump was letting me know i was never doing enough. But anyway, I felt the Drs never new or understood what it was like to have diabetes. None of the drs I had then were diabetic or any of such things. They just knew diabetes because school and all that shanenigans. But anyway, up until a few years ago, when I got the endocrinologist a different one, she and her team askd if I was a pump user I said I was not, and when the news came I was able to have an insulin pump and the dexcom. That was music to my ears! I was so exited that I was going to be using an insulin pump let alone the Dexcom thing I never new existed up until the endo explained to me what that was. I was so exited that I was finally able to be using one!
I was so happy that I was able to use some new technology for diabetes than what I was used to using. Making it easier for me to manage diabetes. Though I do not mind it pricking my fingers, to check my blood sugar, or using needles to inject insulin at all. Just amassed me how far technology has come for diabetes. I feel I am using a portable pancreas, that helps me correct blood sugars when needed, and the dexcom alerting me when I have a low or high blood sugar. It helps me know what steps i need to take next. Whether is to take a correction for the high or glucose for the low. I am glad i am able to use the technology I am. Other wise I do not know where I would be without it now. I am glad I get to use it since I feel lows when its a bit late. That’s not good, but I am happy I am able. 

No comments:

Post a Comment